Thursday, August 30, 2012

365 DAY ULTRA IRONMAN CHALLENGE.........

Hello, bet that title got your attention!

The idea got started as PT, Kat Millar announced a challenge on her website.  Mainly the aim was to pick something achievable to all, and to get as many people involved as possible.

So she advertised the challenge as 1000k run or walk in a year challenge!  That is approximately 3k a day or 20k a week average.  Pretty doable hey?  The idea is to set a longer term goal so followers can get into the habit of  'consistency'.  Also as it's a long term task, done with an online team of others, there should be a sense of 'online community fulfillment' at the end, - finishing something we started!

So yes, I'm up for the running bit.  I can do it either on the treadmill or outside with my garmin watch!  I will use this challenge for long runs, 5k 'time trials', - still aiming to bust 25 mins outdoors!  Lots of flat ground without getting interupted by traffic to give me the best chance of attaining that in NZ, - just may have Southerly Antarctic winds to battle with though!  I'm thinking of the running leg as being from Sydney, (where Kat lives), to northern Brisbane lol!  I have always ADORED Noosa and for some reason have always felt as proud as punch if I get 24k running in a week!  Noosa is about 200k north of Brisbane, - so I'm secretly aiming for 24k running average a week and to make it from Sydney to Noosa in a year, (of course a wine or even better a small party or night out at maybe Barluca, Invercargill NZ when I 'reach Noosa'!)

To add to this 'challenge' for myself.........who is wanting to be involved in some triathlon........I decided to attain 50km of swimming in a year, - average of 1km a week of pool laps with 2 weeks off.  Initially I thought 100k, - but do realise that next year will be very busy with study, work and training and I want to do quite alot of resistance work as well.  1k a week or 2k a fortnight average swimming will be a niggly little goal, but I do want to improve form, skill and speed here.

As for the cycling component, - it took a bit to come up with a figure but I set the task of 1450km in a year.  Just under 30k a week average on the bike!  If the weather outside looks completely hopeless  I am going to go along with the fact that an RPM 45 min class = 15km.  (I have read it is more like 19-20) but if I consider I get a good sweat up and work near my max I will count it as 15km.  With longer daylight hours plus better weather in summer I am aiming to clock up more summer km to give me less of a job to do over next winter where I will spend lots more time doing weight training.  Also before I leave Perth I hope to clock a few hundred km!

So all in all, - it will be an Ultra Ironman, - 50/1450/1000 to equal 2500km in total.  I just googled the distance to drive from Sydney - Port Douglas, (another beaut tropical party secluded hangout I have only spent 3 hours in but would like more time in) and the distance is listed as 2541km.........lets do this!

The more the merrier with this challenge!  If anyone else would like to run/walk 1000k in a year or similar, come, join!  We are kicking off 1 Sept 2012, - needing to reach our destinations by 1 Sept 2013!  By the way I just checked the straight flight distance from Invercargill to Sydney, - it was listed as 2005km!  I am a maths 'nerd' when I wanna be!

2 comments:

  1. Love this goal Pip. Just stay focussed on a week at a time and tick off the many mini goals along the way. Before you know it, you'll have the ultra under your belt.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Magda! I plan to so rock this challenge, - it has gotten off to a slow start though!

    ReplyDelete