Tuesday, August 28, 2012

In Wake of the regarded kinda 'flop'.......

G'day,

Firstly I will acknowledge the kind help from Magda and Hilary in regard to my last post!  Thank you for making me feel better.

I was mentioning on some posts recently that I read Michael Hill's book, - 'Toughen Up'.  I am now reading his second book called 'Think Bigger', - gosh I am actually liking and utilizing my kindle e-reader!  I don't quite have the same aspirations as Sir Michael Hill, - who has a goal of 1000 Michael Hill Shops globably my 2022.  He is in his 70's now, didn't really start his journeying of getting ahead/opening his own first store until the age of 40.  In addition to his world known jewellery chain, - he runs a world class violin competition with world class judges and top class competitors from many countries.  (Sir Michael thought of a way to utilise is passion of playing the violin), - and he dreamt big.  He also had a hobby of building golf courses, and built a world class one near Queenstown and Arrowtown in NZ.  Amongst much more he and his 'gang' have designed and built many boats.  He always seemed to then want something bigger and better.  He seems to thrive on 'thrill' and gets more pleasure out of planning/building such things like better boats, new business plans, better golf courses than he does sitting back and enjoying the fruits of his massive accomplishments!  He enjoys taking friends out fishing on his awesome boats and helping/providing good experiences for others, more than sitting back indulging himself.

Ya know, - I had just written MUCH more than this, - about Aussie Pole to Pole runner legend Pat Farmer, how once I even donated $15 to charity, (to cover some wine I DIDN'T drink), - his main purpose for his run was to raise $$$ for the Red Cross!  However while I thought I was saving this post, I lost over half of it, - frustrating. I gave a bit blurb on his run. Basically he trapsed through the heart of the polar regions, covered on average 84k running EVERY day non stop from most Northern tip of Canada to most Southern city of world in Ushasia, base tip of I think, - Argentina.  He flew across necessary oceans at the smallest points possible.  I was nearly NOT gonna run in this years Perth 14k charity run as I was still stoked with last years time, knew I would be a bit slower this year, - HOWEVER after I heard Pat come to the local radio station and promote the run there was no way I COULD NOT participate!  And I still achieved what I consider at least a respectable time!

NZ ASPIRATIONS........(Still called 'loose' aspirations, not yet goals haha!)  Just a quick outline!
* Move, - arriving 21 Nov this year, - first night in new home
* Initially settle in, catch up with family, suss out course details, (see what I can get accepted into), probably initially over summer work on parents business, maybe/maybe not take on a hospitality shift, aim to improve or at least maintain fitness, study up on the beginner level of anatomy, phsysiology, maintain home!
* Start course in Feb 2013, - Exercise Science L5 diploma lasts 1 year, if one passes they can choose to go into a L6 Diploma in the second year, and attain a bachelor in the third year.  Am just taking 1 year at a time here, it's a full time course, the 'zero fees' local scheme makes it much more affordable.  I'd apply for the student allowance scheme, hopefully be able to supplement that with a couple of shifts a week work.  Initially that may be hospitality, ideally working toward shifts in the health/fitness industry, (even gym reception or salesperson at Rebel Sports or similar :-)).  Keeping fit, enough sleep, keeping up with course, study, work, home maintanance and some fun will keep me well busy!
* I am working toward some fulltime job in the health/fitness type industry.  If that is not forthcoming for a bit I will work toward shifts in hospitality and/or retail and for maybe my parents.
* One ambition IS to start either a personal training 'on the side' business and/or take a group fitness class or similar!  I am still very loose with this, have not decided on a 'target market(s)'! - or how I would implement it, - but it's a vision for the next few years, - and quite weirdly vivid!
* I will join the Southland Multisport club!  Also a gym, maybe a running OR bootcamp type group.  Getting back into netball would be good, - but no promises on that one yet.
* I hope to be able to get away on a decent overseas holiday/adventure for about 2-5 weeks every 2 years, - some adventure, some relaxing but enjoyment, new experiences and fun.
* Keep up blogging/photography, ideally start a blog more suitable to general public and FB mates over time!
* Obviously build friendships, relationships etc over time.
* Nicely maintain my property!

Haha, - this is not quite Michael's vision but I this is what I am very happy and excited with now, - and I visualise this 'outline' for the next few years).  Beyond that, - who knows!

HOWEVER, - the biggest thing is EFFORT!  Even as the last couple of days prooved again, the most destructive thing is BINGEING!

Whatever eventuates, - the biggest disappointment will be bingeing.  If I get annoyed, let doubts overule me, then binge, then spend too much $ I will be gutted if I don't pass my course.

However, - if I can control the controllables and at least not binge on uncontrolled food or booze plus remain happy with my efforts at personal organisation and not spend wastefully.......if I am happy with my effort of study and lifestyle balance however still don't manage the marks I want or even pass, I will feel OK that I have given my best, stayed in control, then move onto the next thing. 

On that note, - 'urges, come, go'.  They seem to arise more when tired, outta routine, a little stressed, - where 'excuses' ponder to get us 'outta the zone'.  If fully in the zone, not tired, organised etc, they seem to arise 'less'.  I still believe the art in fully getting over binge eating/compulsive alcohol consumption or compulsive general spending of money IS to not act on those non helpful 'urges'.  If we manage to ignore our 'urges', or at least tell ourselves, 'they WILL pass at some point, - I bet we can enter bed that night, - pleased we didn't give into those slippery slope/destructive/unplanned urges at the end of the day!

I have rattled on enough today!

Pip :-)




2 comments:

  1. Its a good 'rattle' though. It sounds like you've taken stock of things and mapped out a loose plan. Excellent thinking. At the end of the day its what matters to you that matters, not how it compares to what matters to others.

    We all have our weak moments in some form or other. Check out Craig Harper's latest blog post. SO true (and comforting).

    xx m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Magda, - I read Craig's latest post today, - so true! I guess it is how we ACT in those weaker moments that makes all the difference!

    ReplyDelete