Sunday, August 19, 2012

29 Day Challenge DONE......what NEXT???...

G'day!

Am pleased to announce my 29 day challenge as a SUCCESS all round, - very good feeling!!!

What I achieved was:
* 29 consecutive days clear of ALL alcohol
* I SMASHED my training goal every week of a minimum of 3 intense cardio workouts of 30 plus mins each and 2 resistance workouts of 30 plus mins each.  Smashed those by a good bit actually and am really appreciating the efforts of my resistance training.
* Remained 'sugarfree' for the 29 consecutive days.  By 'sugarfree' I mean that no 'confectionary' items were consumed such as chocolate, lollies, cake, biscuits, fudge, icecream, sorbet, packaged fruit juices, soft drink.  I DID eat homemade 'healthy' carrot cake, well portioned, (no sugar, but oats, egg whites, carrots, a few dates) and 'healthy' homemade date and walnut loaf, (very well portioned and only a very small amount of dates would have been in each serve, - again oats instead of flour, egg whites, no sugar).  I did generally have 1-2 serves of fruit per day, (1 serve was always berries heated in my oats at brekkie!)
* No 'diet' soft drink either!
* No binges!
* Other than when I caught up with a mate who made a pie for lunch, I had no pastry or deep fried food.

RESULTS:
* Improved fitness levels all round, - strength and cardio
* I weighed in on day 4, again on day 27, - between those dates had a 3.5kg drop.  I didn't take measurments otherwise, still lardy for my liking but can feel there has been fat loss.
* Sleep patterns seem to be better without  alcohol.  Still tired and grumpy with alarm awakenings but at least not hungover!  Sometimes I still needed/wanted a coffee to feel alert in the mornings, but was secretly pleased I couldn't blame it on alcohol consumption, - still maybe lack of time in bed.  I have been averaging 6-6.5 hours in bed per night recently, - still not quite enough but a little better than it used to be!  Weekends I often average 7- sometimes 10 hours till I wake naturally!
* Feeling pleased as I achieved what I set out to, and aim to transfer that to whatever I do. 

CHALLENGES:
* The hardest was not substituting one 'less desirable' habit for another, - not something I have managed to keep up for a good length of time, - since maybe my early 20's anyway.
* A couple of times I had the 'urge' for a sugar/and/or food 'binge', - told myself, 'it will pass', and didn't relent.  Urges 'did' pass.  They only arose if I skipped 'training' for a day that I did intend to train, (although I did blast all my pre-challenge training goals).  The day after my mate made us the big lunch, - I had a big urge as I had a small 'idea' I would accomplish a 50k bikeride early Sun morning but it didn't eventuate, then I had that 'bigger lunch'.  It took a bit of concentration not to 'give in' to a binge that evening!
* Not giving into a few urges for an alcoholic drink was a challenge, - particularly Friday and Saturday arvos and evenings but everyday to a degree!  Probably the first couple of weeks for that were the absolute toughest!

THIS WEEKEND:
* I attempted to prep and clean the house for the return of my best mate/housemate who comes home tonight.  She owns and built the home from scratch.
* Pics on the posts below were of my hair after my 'salon' visit on Friday after work, ended up getting chunky gold highlights and a dark brown, (without red tones) base colour.
* 10.4km outside run done late yesterday arvo/evening
* I DROVE, (hate driving new places) out to Yahava Koffee in the Swan Valley, for a nicely made skinny flat white, to view the valley, and I picked up a bottle of classic white and also a bottle of sparkling from one of the local vineyards there, (something I have not done in my time in Perth till now)!
* I had not made a firm decision on whether I would/wouldn't but late this arvo I opened a bottle of chilled sparkling, plonked a strawberry inside and am enjoying a glass, - with no firm decisions NOT to, - I relent so I see!  Tastes good.

UP AND COMING:
* Hmmm, I have quite a bit more fitness to gain and fat to lose so want to keep pushing myself, will keep to my baseline goals but I do want to keep up training at least 5 days a week, and continue to make grounds with resistance efforts, hopefully manage pullups/chin ups someday!  Still am shooting to make new PB's eventually on my run times, fit size 10's tone,  (get under 25% BF, perhaps 20%BF), - I have a love/hate relationship with the discipline of it all!
* I plan to stay bingefree for good no matter what!
* I strive to keep 'mainly' sugarfree.  I won't bring sugary sweet stuff into house, it will not be part of my 'day to day' consumption.  If I take a 'dessert' to a party it will be maybe a fresh fruit/cheese platter or one of the sugarfree desserts with a higher protein source.  I will still permit the occasional controlled portion of sugary stuff if at a dinner party or if it's an occasional social desire with others but it is the stay the exception, not the norm.  If the urges to 'binge' presents itself after that I have to be ready to IGNORE haha!
* I plan to stay away from 'diet' soft drinks, - I did give them up for about 2 years not that long ago!
* Hmmmm, alcohol!  Part of me thinks it could be easier to keep completely away from it and deal with it.  But I enjoy it too!  On the other hand it is classified as a drug!  It doesn't go well with sporting objectives!  At this stage I have made the decision to steer clear of it weeknights, (Mon to Thurs), - only reasons to have one or two is a major social function.  Friday to Sunday, - I certainly don't want to be drinking every night, - or too much!  I still want to keep up high training goals over the weekend so if I have anymore than about 3 standard drinks in a sitting, it is to be no more than one weekend night a week, and I still need to be careful and diligent not to have TOO much. 

So there has it!  Only 6 more weeks of work.  Then hopefully Thailand.  (There have been dramas with my Thailand trip.  I booked a tour with Kumuka back in Feb this year but I have been informed Kumuka has gone bust!  My tour has been cancelled.  I found another GAP tour that sounds good I could do with the same dates but there are dramas with getting refunds from Kumuka, travel agents getting back to me and more!)  Original travel agent who I dealt with has been transferred to an unaccessible office to me so I am dealing with it through phone/email.

Will keep you updated with my doings :-)

Pip

No comments:

Post a Comment