Saturday, September 29, 2012

Work......OVER AND OUT!!!!!.........Next CHAPTER!

G'day!

Well, am officially unemployed now.  I finished up yesterday after nearly working for Croissant Express for 6.5 years in total.  I have worked in many of the stores in Perth CBD and neighboring areas.  Recently the company stores have been franchised bar one, - and I have worked for a franchisee since January 2011 in what happens to be the original store where the business began.  Have met many great people, travellers, friends and great contacts from many different countries over my time at Croissant.  Plus the customers! Some I have known for years!  In the more efficient stores, staff are always on the go, going 'at it' at a fast pace!  Early starts are a part of the business, particularly the bake shift which starts at either 4am or 4.30am depending on the shop!  I remember the days when I lived in East Perth, had the 3.15 or 3.20am alarm, then up, dressed, brekkie, then biked to work, sometimes a dangerous mission! 

Also I remember my exceptionally long hours I did when managing, - quite often at the shop by 4.30am to bake, then sometimes not home till after 7pm at night, then sometimes had paperwork I forced my way through till early alarm the next day!  When managing, my store was a 7 day a week affair, also open an hour longer than the other shop due to it's location, - I guess I could/should of organised it better but I ended up often being there 7 days and sometimes all of those were very long days!  I did get demoted from managing, - on the basis I didn't have enough control over staff, (no employee would fear me lol!)

Will miss free coffee on tap also, but have already put nail polish on today, have thrown away my worktops bar 1, (boss didn't want them back), plus my shoes!  Definitely time to move on.  I stayed as long as I did as I appreciated the full time aspect, no evenings or weekends now, - rare in hospitality!  Also my limited driving confidence put stops to a few things and making resumes and typing out cover letters is something I DREAD!

OK, - as for THAILAND, - yes I'm still going!  It would haunt me forever if I didn't.  Whatever size and fitness level I am, I will make the best of it and hopefully have a great time!  Honestly, if there weren't all the booking dramas, if I had been on track as I hoped this year all round I would be totally excited. I actually ended up getting my Kumuka trip refund this week finally, still haven't got all documentation yet but next weeks job is chasing that up.  I ended up visiting another travel doctor which was a much more efficiently run practice and paid $240 for what they recommended.  I had the combined Hep A and Typhoid vaccination and also the flu jab for the first time ever!  Also I got the insect repellent recommended, plus an Anti Biotic for any minor stomach upsets overseas if they occur and also a booklet talking about safe travel in other countries.

I watched my final AFL game for a while, - it's a great sport to view.

Over and out, more soon!

Pip :-)

2 comments: