Monday, September 24, 2012

Expenses......Expenses......Just doesn't stop!!!.......

Hopefully someone INCLUDING myself can learn from this:

January this year I booked a holiday for Thailand, leaving October 19.

I had put a deposit down, changed my itinerary a few times at the start.  Then I made a decision and paid for flights, a tour, travel insurance, some transfers in full..........all up, very exciting, all confirmed, (so I thought).  I had 9 months to really get fit, stay on track, be in 'the zone'.  I visualised myself as a fit toned size 10, maybe some muscle and ab definition, effortlessly getting in and out of kayaks, not worrying about hanging torso flab, not puffing up the hills when trekking and managing all the bikeriding easily and feeling very confident in myself.

I put in a few decent stints this year, (as any other year) when I thought, - this is IT, finally, this yoyo behaviour is over for GOOD, I have some momentum, am making good progress!  I'm in the zone, invincible, not going overboard at social occasions, really feeling able to maintain this lifestyle!  But NO, alas, little day to day issues arise and back to my long and familiar yoyo cycle and all it entails........

Firstly, mid July I was informed that Kumuka has gone bust, therefore my tour was cancelled!  My agent who I booked with in the city has transferred to another office, 1.5 hours away, also away from any public transport routes so I couldn't really go talk to her!  She talked on phone with trying to organise me on a similar tour with another company, hopefully getting a refund soon.  No action, ignored e-mails, delay in process on phone calls.  THEN I decided to look and find tours myself.  I was informed I couldn't get the flights refunded as other similar tours were possible.  I found another what I 'deemed' suitable tour in the same dates as my flights and rang the agent to book that.  It took weeks to know what was happening.  Then the agent sent one of her 'friends' into the city to get me to sign documents and pay for the new tour.  I did all that, but we were both in a hurry as I had another appointment elsewhere not long after.  I could tell guy really didn't want to be there, he made it clear to me he was doing his friend a favour and next time: - for my information it all should have been done online!  BAD service in hospitality, - lol!!!  THEN I get home I look in my pack of travel documents and see a big lots of sheets about the dangers of travel in Thailand, (motivating, - NOT!)  Plus info on my flights!  BUT no receipt or itinerary of the new tour I had just paid for!  I'm in Thailand for 19 days, the tour is for 16!

So another e-mail to agent informing her, it took her 2 weeks for her to reply, and she just said she needs my passport number, I gave it.  That was a week ago, no new info so more chasing up required by me!  Still no refund from original tour company Kumuka either.

Last week I thought I had better think about travel vaccinations so rang up a surgery in city and went after work today.  The communication system I have to say between the receptionist, doctors and nurses was HOPELESS today!  Won't go into that one!  Anyway have been advised I need to make another appointment and have over $600 of injections for safety precaution!  WTF?????  I guess I should have known this but all of that didn't occur to me, you learn these things!  If I go ahead with injections, I need to make another appointment.

I still have 3 different nights outside of the tour unaccounted for accommodation wise.  Last weekend I actually sold my car, it's gone, (yay!!!)......good effort by me but I got a bit less than I initially hoped for!  A lovely couple purchased it.  Back is nearly good, did a leisurely 37k ride yesterday.  However with all that's gone on, I again allowed self to 'lose the zone' for too long and feel over 80kg, unfit and fat and uncomfortable with the excess fat.

The thought almost is here to call this Thailand trip a '$4500 write off'......for now before it gets even worse.  But I would feel disappointed in myself, my well travelled best mate would really think I am a loser.......lol!  More importantly so would I though!  It would be even more expensive to get there from NZ.

But I feel I should suck it up, go, try and take some good photos, hopefully not get sick or terrorised somehow over there and do my best to learn and enjoy.  Kinda right now want a holiday where I feel 'at ease' though while in a new place ;-) lol!

'In the zone' aspiring Pip certainly operates differently to 'off track/scared/pre-occupied' Pip.  However this trip IS a real headache to organise and try and chase anything up on!  Even I admit I have had quite a bit on my mind of late/this year so do cut myself some slack.  Some/many good decisions! Some self created chaos!  But excuses to allow myself to 'get outta the zone' make it worse!

OTHER LESSON: Don't book travel too far in advance.  Also YES, I am ringing insurance companies, writing letters and all!  Some occasional good fashioned caring service helps!  My agent is nice, I know it's not a nice issue for her to deal with but I should have refunds, all necessary documentation etc etc..........  When I have booked anything on the internet myself, not too far in advance and printed documentation out at an internet cafe myself I have never had dramas.

Gotta still laugh and smile!!! :-)

Pip :-)

3 comments:

  1. Oh Pip, this holiday planning is a disaster and must be SO stressful. I couldn't imagine it!! Kudos to you if you can still laugh and smile.

    As for your weight and fitness, you know one day it'll click and fall into place. Right now , just be kind to yourself, treat yourself well and ride out the next few months. There is always time ahead to tackle the stuff that you want to achieve.

    Take care

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Magda,

    More to write soon.........thought long and hard about it and the verdict is I will do everything in my power to still do the holiday! It would haunt me well in the future if I don't! I have already organised dates to travel to NZ, used up Velocity points and booked the cheapest flights absolutely poss, so changing them would involve major fees if at all possible! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Organised and booked flights for my move back to NZ I mean!

    ReplyDelete