Monday, September 9, 2013

KIPPING SWINGS AND HANG CLEANS........

These are what I need to learn.  As for the hang cleans.....I need to get that in sync, then add weight!  Last night hang cleans were in our WOD, the coach scaled my reps down to try and get me to focus on proper form.  I used a really low weight, (15kg).  I have to think really hard about what I'm doing, and unless I go really slow, I forget the correct form and technique.  I'm gonna have to watch some youtube Crossfit 'hang clean' videos and similar on google and practise with a broomstick or similar till it comes automatic....then add weight and try at Crossfit outside of the WODs.

Talk about pull ups, kipping pull ups, eventually muscle ups (haha)!  However I will be stoked when I learn the kipping swings done on the bar, proper form first up!  As a kid I used to swing on a bar lots, primarily using the hips but I can't get the kipping swing happening yet!  I will watch videos, and practise till I do.  When doing it with a pull up band, the coach said use only the shoulders to go backward and forward.  I couldn't really move myself at all doing this without using hips or bending arms!  So I assumed to do the kipping swing, (no band) on the bar, we only used our shoulders, but then I was told to use the core for that!  I still tried, couldn't get the co-ordination.  It seems as all others in the class have picked up the kipping swing quickly so I'm getting frustrated haha!  I so want to, and when we pick up techniques for stuff, I think we look quite talented and it's such a thrill to do something, such as the 16 inch box jump last Saturday!

Sorry, for those unfamiliar with Crossfit, the above may be a language which you don't understand fully.

I am really keen to pick up my fitness all round at the moment, it is happening by the way, (although I can be impatient!)  I have running, duathlon, and triathlon goals for the coming summer season....and want to be more competitive than last year, attain a sub 25 min 5k run, also improve cycling and swimming.  Swimming has improved a bit.  I'm gonna enter a 10k run in November, am hoping to post a good time I'm satisfied with!  But seriously, lots of my goals are Crossfit performance related. That's learning all the basic moves with proper form down pat, then gradually increasing weights until I attain RX (or close to RX levels) for the WODs.  Plus pull ups!  Strict unassisted eventually, plus this whole kipping thing!  It will keep me busy training wise!

Am working on fatloss, and ideally improving muscle definition too.  Will eventually post some photos.

Till next time!

Pip

4 comments:

  1. You seem to have found something you really love Pip. Its often half the battle in persevering with something long enough and trying hard enough to make those much desired improvements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Magda! With Crossfit I love that there are skills to progress toward, such as the next level pull up, and having have done the box jump. Some of the skills and moves look quite classy when executed. It's a change from the same weighted machines at the gym where you go say 3-4 sets of 10-15 and once that is achieveable, increase the weight, or even the pyramid styled training. Occasionally I still do a casual visit at a gym to see how I go on the machines and to add a different dimension!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand your frustration Pip, I think you and I would do great at Crossfit together :) I was struggling with the kipping string too (think it was the same thing you are talking about), my coach was telling me chest in, chest out to make me swing. I didn't move far, but a little bit, but he has actually said we will work on the kipping part of the pullup later, and for now just work on the strength on the pullups. There is so much to learn, technique and skill wise, but makes it fun. Although I seem to struggle the most in my class to, but everyone is so supportive! I was feeling down that I can't do headstands, but that will come with confidence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristy, I'd like to do Crossfit with you too! My coach told me the same thing regarding the kipping swing. That is to work on my strength by doing band assisted strict pullups for now, worry about the kip later! I will have to try the 'chest in' 'chest out' movement to see if that makes me swing! I used to swing lots as a kid and am used to all my momentum coming from my hips so getting out of that habit is something I find tricky and I'm un-co as trying to kip! Also I was told, when doing band assisted pullups, try not to go to a dead hang between each rep, even keep a little momentum somehow. Have just started being able to do that. Anyway I'm working toward eventually being able to do both, strict and kipping pullups and unassisted one day would be fantastic! For now I'm enjoying seeing any little progress forward! The headstands will come with confidence as I'm sure most things at Crossfit will! :-)

      Delete