Saturday, September 7, 2013

BOX JUMP EXCITEMENT!

I've done it!  After yesterday's WOD I was having a bit of a play on the bar first up, working on my kipping swing, (nah ya, not really happening) and I tried the green band for a strict pull up, - a no-go with that too!  Still the dark blue band!

Before putting the 16 inch box away I was looking at it squarely.  I tried a few jumps beside it seeing if I could indeed go high enough!  Then some Crossfit mates saw me doing this, they came by.  They told me I was easily jumping high enough, - just get over it and get on that damn box!  I was quivering, but after 3 mins or so I did it, landing on the front of the box.  Then another landing on the centre of the box, then another few.  The coach then saw me and grabbed a 20kg plate which may add about 1.5 inches and placed it on top and he got me to jump onto that.  I did first pop, then did 10.  I was told I was clearing it easily and the coach told me he wants me to put 2 plates on top of the 16 inch box when we have box jumps in a WOD.  Hmmm, I was just happy for now to make the 16 inch box!  But will try the next WOD with one 20kg plate on top!  It's a good feeling to attain a new skill!  I had an intense fear of jumping onto that box before, so till now I was using step ups and jump downs when box jumps featured in a WOD.  Thanks heaps to my Crossfit mates!

Saturdays WOD was a team hard WOD!  We competed against eachother in teams of 3.  The coach constructed the teams!

* It started with a 'Buy in Relay'....1800m row or 600m each.
* Then we proceeded to 'Base Station' where we all had to complete 20 KB swings, 20 box jumps, 20 ab-mat sit ups each
* Next each team member had to complete 50 air-squats
* Then we had to complete the 'Base Station' moves again
* Now time for 50 pushups each
* Now back to 'Base Station' to repeat the moves again
* Now time for 25 burpees each
* Now time to repeat 'Base Station' moves again
* Now time for 25 'knees to elbow' hanging from the bar.
FINISH!

I admittably was terrified as I was teamed with who I consider fit and competitive people!  I didn't want to drag them down and sacrifice their possible placings!  Also the coach said, if one team member was really struggling with any of the exercises, they needed to do at least half of the prescribed number, but they could get another team member to finish their reps.  I hoped this wouldn't be me either!

Our team happened to come in first!  And the team did all of the prescribed reps rather than issuing any to other team members.  We set a cracking pace and were first off the rowers!  The fit guy on our team started out with the rowing, keeping up about a 1:37/500m pace, (lvl 10) for the first 600m.  Then it was me, I reckon I averaged a 1:55-1:56/500m pace over the 2nd 600m which I was stoked with, other than the first stroke, they were all below 2:00/500m.  And the other girl on our team cranked out an awesome pace too!

I used the 12kg KB, and the step up/jump downs for box jumps as I couldn't YET do box-jumps!  Most of the girls, (including me) opted for knee pushups as there were 50, and we wanted to finish well!  The guys all did them on their toes.  I'm not good at burpees, my team had to wait on me to finish our 25 each.  Think I was 5-6 burpees behind them!  I got through the knee to elbows first on the bar.  But I scaled that back as I can't get my knees anywhere near my elbows, so I was doing knee lifts up as far as I could, but with grips etc, I did this over a few sets.  My other team members can do proper knees to elbows!  Lotsa fun!

The warm up was a jog around the park and running up and down a grandstand 4 times!

In the arvo, I did the interval 500m 'sub 2:30' runs with 2.5 min walk between each, repeated 6 times.  That hurt, infact on the 4th interval, I was about 2-3 secs too slow, had to deal with a head wind!  But I kept at it! 

Bring on the warm/hot weather I say!  Although here anything in double digits is mild, and heading toward mid teens, awesome!  But while it's not too bad at all, I'm craving temps above 25 degrees! 

I'm trying to ban myself from using the heater at home and instead use the fire as I don't like producing such high power bills and have been given lots of free wood.  The thing is I'm not home for long often, heaters are convenient when relaxing for an hour or 2.  But I'm trying to re-work it! 

Hope it's been a good weekend for everyone!

Pip

2 comments:

  1. Yay Pip!

    I'm still yet to overcome my fear but I always love hearing when people do ... it gives me hope.

    Cheers

    Michelle :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle! If I can do it.....I am real sure you can, to me you are ultra fit! The biggest battle is doing it once! You will do it!

    ReplyDelete