Sunday, January 20, 2013

Mountain Bike Trail disaster and other doings......

G'day!  Well, last Saturday I participated in my first ever mountain bike race!  I've done 4 mini triathlons before, (with road bikes) but never just a bike race, yet alone a mountain bike race!

Anyway about 9 years ago, (between moving back from Queensland and then again to Western Aussie) I purchased a mountain bike while living and working in Queenstown.  I used it quite a bit that year on some decent bike trips, (mainly hilly roads though, not trails).  However, when I moved to WA the bike was stored at my parents, - available for family or anyone to use!  About 4-5 people had a short ride on it! 

One of them was my father used it to pedal the 4.5km trip to the pub from his place one Sunday morning!  He had left his vehicle at the pub the previous night and got a lift home.  From that effort, - he made the decision that this bike needed a new seat, - a soft spongy one as opposed to the more racer style one like what it came with, - therefore he went and purchased one and got it attached.  I must admit the seat Dad bought is more comfy, - but my bike looks slightly more dowdy!  But basically the bike hadn't been in use for years although I'd done a few trips since my return from Oz!

The morning of my race, (last Saturday) I decided to pump the tyres up, (think I possibly put a bit too much air in them)!

It was a rainy day, 13 degrees, lots of mud but yep, - my event was a 21km mountain bike hilly trail event.  All was good the first 6-7km of the race.  That bit was on road, lots of hills, I was feeling 'in the groove' sitting about the middle of the spread out pack, - (ok, perhaps slightly closer to the rear than the front with the experienced riders).  I was happy with my effort on the up hills!  I had just reached the top of a hill, spotted the first trail turn off 100m ahead, then........I heard a big BANG that sounded like a farmer nearby was trying to shoot me with a gun!  I looked down and saw that BANG, - my front tyre had completely POPPED!  Was deflated now  I didn't have any spare tubes either and tyre was broken!  So I had to turn back, start walking bike back toward start of race.  An official spotted me, notified others I wouldn't finish, put my bike on back of their ute and took me back to the start.  Definitely I WILL get bike fixed and keep on trying!

Other than that I have kept up with the early morning interval hill running on the treadmill before work.  Yesterday I did a 6.2k outdoor flat run in the strong cool winds when I woke up.  I had a few things to get done last night and got to bed late, - therefore I opted not to have a treadmill workout this morning.  Tomorrow though definitely, - and training today as well!  I have still kept up a few resistance moves too.

12th day, no alcohol so far.  I went out for lunch yesterday, - instead of a wine or beer, opted for one of the restaurants renowned skinny flat whites to have along with water!  Because I was very tempted to have a wine or beer, - I was pleased the coffee was a nice one!

Talk soon with the next update!

Pip

6 comments:

  1. Love your story Pip. I'm sorry about your flat! What a pain. Glad to see you not drinking. Join me as a non drinker. Not that bad after a while xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz! I have to say your rides super inspire me! I look forward to doing more! I agree, it's certainly not that bad not drinking at the moment. :-)

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear your race did not go as planned. Good for you on the alcohol. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa! There will be many more bike races in the future to choose between. I have a couple of running events coming up!

      Delete
  3. What a bugga!! You'll nail the next race though!

    :-) M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure will nail it Magda! At least I will be very careful about knowing the pressure level I should pump my mountain bike tyres up to, (for whatever terrain I'm on!)

    ReplyDelete