Monday, January 14, 2013

FLOODING ROADS IN SOUTHLAND

Thought I would post about something slightly different today.

Last Thursday when driving up to Gore with a friend to swim laps at the pool, I had come across two sections on the road, with at least 300m of constant water in front of me which was at least 50-60cm high.  We had the machinery there to get rid of the water overtime and the roadworks STOP/GO people there controlling it.  It was a surreal totally new experience driving through water, I was assured it wouldn't harm my car, (just wash the underneath). 

I was driving really slow with the flow of traffic, had never seen anything like it on that road before.  But we DID have over 80mm of rain on Wednesday night last week.  The Mataura River is nearby so some of the floodbanks may have given way.  We have already hit 136mm of rain for the year so far here, - therefore lots different than 'dry as a bone' Perth in January haha.

Gore has a 25m swimming pool, - my goal was to put in 40 laps, (1km) of freestyle, - focussing on technique and a bit of speed.  After that was completed I mucked around playing with the kickboards focussing on legs, the foam noodle which focusses on upperbody plus some relaxing backstroke, sidestroke and playing about for a bit!

Other news: - little sister  and her husband have just passed the 32 week mark of her pregnancy, therefore I expect to be an Aunty soon, - wow!  They live very close by.

Still haven't caved regarding booze.

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment