Saturday, July 2, 2011

GOLD COAST HALF MARATHON QUICK UPDATE

I'm at an internet cafe with limited time so I will do a more detailed post later. I've announced my doings on facebook too :-)

Gun time looked to be 2 hrs, 5 mins, 31 secs. Net time I'm guessing will be 3-4 mins faster. So I didn't make the under 2 hour goal but have still smashed my previous PB by about 13 minutes.

I was feeling great and keeping between the 1.50 and 2 hour flags nicely for the first 11km or so feeling very accomplished. Then I felt myself fatiguing and slowed a bit. Then the dreaded 2 hour flags caught me at the 15km mark and I was very tired. I tried to keep up but just wanted to walk! However the mental toughness to keep 'shuffling' along the final 6km was there!

To be fair I've been slack with long run training, - infact hardly ever run anything over 12km tops in one go! Will put photos up soon and I still remain nicely at my target weight of around 61.5 - 62kg!

Talk soon!

Pip :-)

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Pip! Have a well deserved rest, you have done a great job, and should be so pleased with yourself. Running is such a learning process, each run seems to teach us how to improve things for the next run:) Do you use gels etc, to help with fatigue during those longer runs? It certainly helps.
    All the best. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gillian,

    Thank you for your kind comment.

    No, I have never actually tried gels. Gels etc are something I will look into for my future endurance projects. At one of the stations, (about 10km in) a sports drink was served as well as water at a drink station on the run. That was good.

    ReplyDelete