Tuesday, July 30, 2013

MILESTONES, START WEEK 8 'PALEO' CHALLENGE, CROSSFIT, FITNESS, LIFE.......

G'day!

Well, - where to start haha!

* In line with my last post, I have achieved something off the list, - so this wins first place!  Last night at Crossfit, I used a 12kg kettlebell for the first time instead of an 8kg kettlebell in the WOD and managed that.....with burn.....to satisfaction!  We had a challenging warm up and skills section, and the WOD was an awesome fun gymnastic based Hero one.  It went, 400m run, 21 kb swings, 15 whatever they call those hang bar swing, lift knees and curl to stomach thing....(and that was my scaled option) plus 9 ring row dips.......repeated 3 times for time.

* I loved the ring row dips, am in awe at watching the pros complete them, (and Olympic gymnasts!)  Non scaled version is calves, 90 degree angle behind thighs.  Lower arms till straight, then lift back up time 9!  I used a purple band.....and had to let some overhang.  However I completed 3 sets of 9 of these, a couple of rests along the way.  And twice I wasn't happy with the last rep as I didn't straighten my arms fully so I made myself repeat them.

* I was very happy to complete a WOD......3 lots of 21KB swings....first time on 12kg....a noticeable jump from 8kg.  At about 17 on each set the fatigue set in, but I completed the 21 each set proper form without breaking!  New standard for me now is to use 12kg KB for each WOD for a while....until I decide to brave the 16KBs obviously!  The 15 hanging bar, knees to chest, feet together  controlled lifts, (scaled) was a challenge!  I had a small break at the 10 point of each set!  WOD completion = 17:40 for me.

* I did a run to my parents yesterday arvo for a job.  4.45km flat.  28 mins flat.  Nothing spectacular at all, but not a bad result considering where I'm at currently.  I worked it hard.  I powerwalked most of the way back....but on one road decided on a 1km time trial!  I was going OK till 2 cars decided to come....and I had to step down and jog on uneven ground to let each pass!  My 1km time trial was 5:17 going by Garmin GPS watch....buggered!  I think at a fit point it was about 4:30.....something to work toward!  After some more walking I then tried a 500m sprint!  It fatigued me fully, but I did it in 2:30!  A few hours later yesterday was Crossfit!

* Today I trained again.....at the pool!  I was focusing on pace and technique and my first job was 1km freestyle....40 laps of 25m pool.  I managed just sub 28 mins for that today....not the 30 mins or slightly over that it normally takes me when I attempt!  I then did 4 backstroke relaxation lengths, a couple of doggie paddling, 4 of holding kickboard/vigorous kicking.  Then decided on 3 50m time trials freestyle as fast as poss....about 2 mins rest between each set so nothing yet overly structured.  I can report, over each 2*25m laps as fast as poss, my freestyle time was 1min, 10 secs.  I can't do the professional 'curl under' at end of each lap like the pros.....that could slow me down up to 5 secs!  However, I'd never seen my attempts of that under 1:25 before.....so 3 times, I improved on my PB by 15 secs......this may pay off for triathlon season!  I have spent some time trying to slightly improve my swim form and technique, (which some would argue is still horrid!)  Very pleased with that though!

* Am down a few cms....bare skin 84-85cm waist, 93cm stomach, 102cm bust, sitting between 80-81kg (height 1.71m), you know time of weigh in/hydration levels affect morning weigh in!.  About 4kg gone in 7.5 weeks.  Measurements go up by a cm or 2 even with a thin top on! Defo a bit fitter and stronger.

* The birthday cake still remains frozen.  I average about 1 bit a day of birthday fudge or chocolate, (20g max) so there is still a good amount left in fridge...almost 2 weeks later!  I have had a couple of different type of meals of late.  One meal last Friday was my mate deciding he wanted to treat me with his 'home smoked salmon' and garden salad!  We went shopping sourcing salmon fillets which he bought!  His 'smoked salmon' marinates in honey, and is smoked in his garden oven, no other ingredients so Paleo indeed and delicious!  I did inform him....um....120g about my max for a serve, if he wanted to buy a 400g plus fillet, it was all his!   He 'pffffeeed' at that, (I only put up a small argument), even though he is into the gym, I do think we ended eating about half of a 420g fillet each, off one plate.  He made tea yesterday after Crossfit!  If it was me at home, I would of had my mince/veg serve on some spinach or silverbeet, but did end up having it on a small/reasonable serve of his fresh pasta.  I was slightly fuller than I needed to be last night, but had less brekkie before todays swim....hopefully balancing it!  Big thing though = no bingeing or out of control eating despite life's doings!  Still haven't had any soft drink or diet soft drink in.....almost 8 weeks!  Closest is a serve or 2 of veg V8 juice, no fruit juice!

Have to say I really love Paleo food, and the principals soon, - it's delish, feels great!

Weather here has been rather mild 'mostly' the last 2 weeks for our standards!  That means highs in the double digits.....up to 14-15 degrees on the really good days as a max!  Either sunny or cloudy with minimal wind = not bad training weather as long as we can get warm straight afterward!  Normally this time of year we are looking at windier/wetter less pleasant weather with ave tops in the 5-10 degrees spectrum.....so I am glad I have been utilizing our weather recently for outdoor runs!  The weekend after the Catlins....I even spotted a split temp of 18 degrees!  That has never happened in Southland....in July!  Generally we are lucky to see over 10, often closer to freezing, and it's windy, wet and unpleasant.  What I mean.....in Perth, or Brisbane......our days would be BEYOND FREEZING, UNBEARABLE, but as I was expecting the worst, I take the days which are better than expected!

Will catch up again soon, it was a long post for tonight from me!
 
:-)










4 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! Well done on your kettlebell swings ... it is a big jump between kettlebells, isn't it? I'm stuck on 12 kg at the moment and on the cusp of doing 16 but it's such a big jump!

    I love playing on the rings as well. Unfortunately we don't have enough to go around and the advanced peeps get first dibs at them but when I do have the opportunity to use them I have loads of fun.

    Anything under 20 deg C is freezing to me ... the joys of living in the tropics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle! I do wonder why they have such big jumps with the kettlebell weights, a 2kg increase seems more manageable than the standard 4kg haha! It is an addictive sport in a good way hey! I love tropical weather.....will need to eventually see about a holiday lol!

      Delete
  2. Good work all round Pip. Keep it up.

    M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Magda......I don't want to let this momentum slide! As well as the running/triathlon stuff I am keen to see if I can reach some strength/resistance milestones I have never reached before!

      Delete