Saturday, February 2, 2013

FEBRUARY ALREADY!

Hello,

OK:  1 Feb weigh in = 81.9kg, (1 Jan was 85.2kg so I just scraped in to meet the under 82 target I set, and not in a dehydrated state either).  Now aim to be under 80 come 1 March.

Running kms for Jan totalled 62.9.  Other than for a space of about 8 days around the 2nd week of Jan, (too much gorging, no training) I stayed generally on track.  Also I got in a couple of swims, (each just over a 1km) and a couple of bike rides plus resistance work in for the month. 

The last few days I've noticed my performances are heading in a slight uphill trend again.  I managed to survive both my early morning torture treadmill hill trainings this week without a break or lowering the speed.......only just mind you haha!    This morning I did a 7.4k run outside followed by a 2km powerwalk.  That was my longest run (in a hit) since maybe late August last year.  At the 5k point of my run today, - I noticed my time equalled last Saturday's 5k time however today I encountered many long patches of quite loose gravel which is harder to run on than concrete or grass!  The fact I tacked another 2.4k of running onto that run rather than collapsing at 5k today was encouraging.

Have noticed core strength and push up ability has just SLIGHTLY started improving again.   August last year, I could do 10 consecutive pushups on toes ( I think I remember hitting 20 a few years back when focussed for long enough).  I was disgusted that recently I could barely do 2, and even 15 on my knees hurt like mad!  OK, I can kind of do 4 now on my toes, 20 on my knees......at least am heading in the right direction again!

I can't rate swimming high enough though.  My job, (peeling and sorting tulip bulbs at a conveyor belt at pace, mostly needing to stand and bend to keep up but sometimes able to sit and bend forward).....I noticed I was getting a sore back, - it started in the lower back, then headed to the upper back/neck region, and also in one finger.  OK, I could get by, but bending down crawling under stuff I was hobbling like a slightly frail nana (when bending down), - that with also some probably some DOMS from trying to get fitter!  As well as being useful for potential triathlon training, - I find 1km of invigorating freestyle to best of my ability is almost as good as a massage for loosening muscles.  Having a couple of 'play laps' of other strokes after the freestyle is good too!  The only downside to swimming the the pool that I have been, - is that it's heavily chlorinated.....and that plays with sinuses for a few hours after the swim, - maybe that issue will change after I'm more accustomed to swimming and fitter!

Other news is: Southland has had 9 consecutive awesome days of weather!  9 days in a row reaching over 20 with 6-7 of them getting to between 25-30 degrees!  I have been making most of this, even have been naughty enough to get a natural suntan everywhere except face. 

Am starting my online fitness course this week......my organisation will need to be.....awesome as I'm keeping up the training too and working!

My sis has her baby shower party in one week, - she is due in 5 weeks time for her first child, - I will be an Aunty!

My 5k trail run is in 2 weeks, - am looking forward to that one!  Am still undecided about entering the Invercargill 12k Surf to City run on Sunday next week.  I am keen, but some peeps from the North Island are coming down next weekend for my sis's baby shower and spending more time with them could be cool.....hmmmm, I will keep you updated!

Till next time
Pip




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're heading in the right direction with diet and training Pip. Febfast will help your cause as well. Great read thanks

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Magda! Am pleased to say the *slight* increase of fitness is following through to this week as well. As for Febfast......I've cheated with that already, - just not the focus of last year regarding teetotalling booze already. But it's been at the 1-2 drinks, (prob 3 std drinks) once or twice a week so far. I am ok with that level but don't want it creeping up (much) from there so need to stay vigilent! A couple of good social gatherings coming up later this month. I fully admire non drinkers though!

    ReplyDelete