Monday, July 23, 2012

Recent Doings plus the Up and Comings!!!

G'day readers!

Just a quick update today.  I am typing from an internet cafe as I thought I had my laptop sorted, however, - it's bummed out again with the internet not working.  We don't have a home phone and the coverage out where I live for my mobile isn't the best which means that when I start the process of ringing regarding my internet connection, I get placed on hold for ages and if the phone doesn't cut out then, it does when someone answers the call.  The time I did get my laptop working last time was when I took laptop into city where phone coverage is better, then called, was on hold a good while and transferred to about 3-4 people before it got fixed, looks like I need to do this again!

Righty:  It was my birthday last week and over the last few weeks I have spoilt myself a bit.  I need to stop spending money, - but it's fun.

Purchases include: - * a Fossil light camel leather handbag, * an Amazon Kindle e-reader, * a Garmin 910 Forerunner also with a heart rate monitor, - (it's a GPS multisport watch),  It can tell one our current pace, how many km's we have done, our average kmph on the 'cycle' function and our run pace such as 5:45 min average kmph while running.  I haven't used it swimming yet.  I also bought a red soft Kathmandu jacket and some black polar fleece Kathmandu trackies in a recent sale.  Due to my own doings I am not in a shape or at a fitness level where I would have fun buying high fashion pieces, - infact with too much slackness/putting stuff off and overeating I have allowed self to gain a few kg and it feels uncomfy at the moment.  While the jacket and trackies fit now, they will also be fine if I lose 10 odd/plus kg!, - can just pull the trackies in and wear them baggy instead of firm fitting and can wear the jacket over jumpers, (necessary in NZ and if I go hiking one day),  not just a singlet or fitted T!

Since I have succeeded in completing Febfast this year, (regarding having NO booze for the month) I set myself another challenge which I started on Saturday.  The new challenge is to go 29 days until my housemate is back with a): - no booze  b): - sugarfree, (to the point of no sugary confectionary c): no emotional overeating  Diet softdrinks aren't allowed either! d): get my planned workouts in however if there is what I consider a valid reason not to, that is fine, just not disorganisation or slackness or hangovers or the like! e): -remember that pastries and deep fried products aren't helpful  f): - keep away from pastry and deep fried stuff, (cheese is fine as long as I'm happy I am practising moderation).   I am up to day 3/29, successful so far.

Basically really I need to keep living similar to this if I am to keep to my core values.  However for social occasions I don't like to be overly strict and like to feel able to choose to enjoy whatevers going as long as I keep it in control to my satisfaction and just keep it to one meal or party.  But in the next 4 weeks I don't know of any major parties/gatherings so this should not be too hard to string together.  When again at maintenance level, I may loosen things up just slightly but can't lose the main principles.  Infact I made a nutritious sugarfree carrot cake, had a bit for a mini meal yesterday, again today, it's delicious!  I also made a chicken mine/veg loaf and a salmon/veg loaf.  All items I portion up and freeze.  After a couple of days of feeling a lil deprived with the option to gorge on chocolate, caramel sauce, cake, icecream, cheese etc dismissed, better choices and control are something I find relatively easy.  However when eating in a more nutritious way, I find the real urge/desire for wine, in particular but alcohol is strong for me, (sometimes a chilled crisp beer too)!  If I didn't allow alcohol, it used to be coke zero or the like.  If I overeat on more 'junky' types of food the desire to drink alcohol is a bit less!

So as you see, not substituting one less than ideal behaviour for another less than ideal behaviour to me is the key as I hope to study exercise science and work in the health/fitness industry somewhere. I am working on being slightly more inventive with healthy sugarfree recipes, some including lots of veg as well!

Kumuka has gone under, I need to organise a tour with another company for Thailand in October.  Gear is now on ship heading for NZ.  At the moment, my intent is to study up on basic anatomy of the body to try and get a headstart for next year haha!

Till next time!

Pip

3 comments:

  1. Hey Pip, good luck with your 29 day challenge. It sounds like you'll have a relatively smooth run wth few parties and social events to really test you out. I hope it goes well and sets you on the course you want to travel.

    xx m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Magda, how I go will be completely up to me haha! My objectives are all totally within my control, the journey will and needs to have some fun too I think, as long as it is fun we will have no regrets about!
    Ignoring 'junky pointless urges' will need to happen long term too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear an update from you Pip :)

    ReplyDelete