Monday, May 14, 2012

DECIDING.........GYM OR CONTINUED NO GYM!!!

It's a small current dilemma for me!

My objectives are:
* Increase running firstly, then cycling and swimming strength and speed!
* Increase my strength and flexibility
* Ideally do some short 'stop', 'start', 'sprint', 'stop', drills or plyometrics
* Meeting more people is always good.
* OK, I want to say fatloss and lifestyle habit improvement ever, - ok, the fittest ever in my life!!!!!

I have been running outdoors, kinda early morning at weekends, (like 8am to 9am) and after work a few times on weekdays. While I love the heat, - Perth summers mean the temps are often in the 30's, (often high 30's and even occasionally reach the low 40's in summer. The latest I can leave home in summers is 6am so getting a run in, showered, brekkied up etc isn't an option I want. Normally I finish work between 3-4pm. I like a run around 'The Bridges', (a 9.6km lap around Swan River in Perth). But I don't want to hang around too long to do it. There aren't too many roads and it's an undistracted good run. Once in half marathon training I did it twice.....will in the future but once is sure enough for now. I like the extra daylight and love the heat.........but the run is a good challenge, even with a water bottle once the temp climbs too far into the 30'at my current fitness level if I am to strive to improve my times. I can wait till I get home in the evenings, then wait a bit and head out between 6.30 and 7.30. It could work but I would need a 4pm good snack......not tea, then a light snack after run to perform well. I need to be up by 5am.

Ideal would be to join an outdoor bootcamp, stop, start, different, plyometric style, chance to make new bootcamp buddies and all!, - but........they seem to run at times inconvenient to me like 6am or evening ones are in ultra busy locations where I would need to survive peak hour traffic to get to in the evenings. A good cost but prob worth it if I could commit to all the sessions.

A tri club would be great......just similar issues to timing and traffic as 'bootcamp' option.

If I don't join the gym the target is to carry on with early type outdoor runs and bikerides at weekends, and runs/bikerides/push-ups

No comments:

Post a Comment